Thursday, September 1, 2011

Turkey Flat 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon

Ok I admit it.... I forgot. Well not forgot, just didn’t remember – not top of mind.

When you are surrounded by some great Shiraz in Barossa, I find sometimes Cabernet Sauvignon flies under the radar a little, I’m ashamed to say.

And Turkey Flat haven’t helped any either. The last time they produced a Cabernet was in 2006, which I fondly remember. But with International Cabernet Day on 1 September it was an opportunity to indulge in some great juice and their latest Cabernet release.

The 2009 show typical restrained elegant style which I love across Turkey Flat’s portfolio. Not an overripe, super extracted style much to my relief. You can tell its Cabernet with just a hint of herbaceous/tomato leaf on the nose. Sometimes I find this not that attractive in the variety but here it’s well balanced by juicy red fruit, and an intriguing savoury earthiness. Pretty violets add to the mix.

The palate shows nice acid balanced with rich dark fruit, which makes me think it could be a 10-15 year proposition. Even though it’s a new release the tannins are fine and soft. Again the same aroma characters are present on the palate; spicy cinnamon and liquorice, rich cocoa powder, with that savoury edge that lingers unremittingly.

With Barossa Cabernet this good I could almost forget about Shiraz. Well almost.

RRP: $40
Only 500 cases produced
Alcohol: 14.5%
Scores: James Halliday 94pts Tyson Stelzer 93pts
Sample provided by producer

No comments:

Post a Comment